Settling any type of personal injury claim can be a challenging process. Giving you a time frame for what to expect can be difficult because many factors play a role in it. It’s important not to rush your settlement. You want to be sure all of your losses are included. At the same time, you may need the financial support right away. So, what can you expect?
When you come in to see our personal injury attorneys in our Indianapolis office, we will discuss your case with you. We’ll give you information about what you can expect. We encourage you to give Doehrman Buba Attorneys at Law a call today to learn more about your specific case.
What Can You Expect?
One of the most common questions asked by those suffering from loss is this. “How long will it take to get my settlement?” Often, people are hoping to settle very quickly so they can get funds in their account sooner. Yet, it is essential to balance a fast personal injury settlement with getting the financial support owed to you.
To be clear – you can settle your claim quickly, often within a matter of months. However, doing so nearly always means you will receive less.
Why Your Insurance Company Is Rushing You
Insurance companies have a single goal – close the settlement by signing release forms as soon as possible to minimize what is paid out. But, consider a typical car accident. You suffer injuries and have medical debt. But, what if it takes six months or longer to work out your ability to walk and get back to work again? What if you never regain full use of your arm? You will not know this in the few months after your accident. Yet, if you agree to a settlement sooner, you will find yourself “stuck” without the ability to claim more of your losses. The insurance company is not working for you. You should never feel pressured to close your claim too quickly.
But, Why Does It Take So Long to Settle a Personal Injury Claim?
The length of time is not always too long. However, there are numerous factors impacting the length of time it will take to settle your claim. Here are some common reasons you may experience a delay.
- The case is a high-value case. This means there is more on the line and the insurer wants to be sure they have to pay it out.
- You have not reached a complete dollar amount for your medical losses or needs; making it hard for you to settle on a specific amount.
- There is missing information, problems with the case, or legal matters waiting to be resolved.
In these situations, you can expect the settlement of your personal injury case to be significantly longer. On the other hand, a simple claim with no pain and suffering claims or extensive damage may only take a few months at most to settle.
Understanding Personal Injury Negotiations
A good deal of the time it takes for you to settle your case will relate to the negotiation process. Your personal injury attorney will handle this for you. However, you should understand what happens and, as a result, why every step in the negotiation process lengthens the amount of time it is going to take you to obtain your settlement.
- You send a demand letter outlining your losses.
- The insurer will then contact you or your attorney. The adjuster will specifically state what is wrong with the claim. Questions about liability, specific claims, the extensiveness of your injury, and the type of care you received will be brought up.
- You will then need to submit a response to any concern. In short, you need to prove you deserve those funds.
- Then, the insurance adjuster may come back to you with a “fast” offer. This is typically below what you are asking for in your demand letter. Remember, they want you to settle. If they know you are in a hurry to settle, they may create a low-value offer here.
- You may work with your attorney to reduce what your demand is – or, if not, you may end up in a court case.
- A bit of back-and-forth negotiation can happen between you and the adjuster.
If you cannot come to an agreement, your case will wind up in court for a judge to determine what is fair. However, when you are working with a personal injury attorney, you may be able to reduce some of these risks. You may be able to increase the amount of your demand letter by having more information. And, you will have access to more information, evidence, expert testimony, and much more to validate your claims.
It can take a while to file a claim and receive a settlement. Yet, when you wait, you will get more of what is owed to you.
Schedule a FREE Consultation with Your Personal Injury Attorneys in Indianapolis
To learn what your case entails and what you can expect from filing a claim, call our offices. Our team has a solid reputation for being aggressive and winning complete claims for our clients. You can receive a free case review by calling Doehrman Buba Attorneys At Law. Call us at 866-658-1835 or fill out our online form for more information.