For decades, Americans have relied on trucks and truckers to bring them their food, home goods, and other products. When the trucks arrive on time and the system runs smoothly, most people pay no attention to the importance of the industry. When a truck accident occurs, however, things can get messy in a hurry.
The average semi-truck is about 20 to 30 times heavier than a car. As such, if you are ever involved in a truck rollover accident, the damage is likely to be devastating. In 2017 alone, 4,102 people died in large truck crashes.
What causes semi-truck rollover accidents?
With a vehicle as large and complex as a semi-truck, there are plenty of things that can potentially go wrong. However, the vast majority of rollover accidents are caused by one of the following four things:
A significant portion of all trucking accidents is caused by mistakes on the part of the driver. Forgetting to check mirrors before changing lanes, speeding, texting while driving, and even falling asleep at the wheel have all been known to cause devastating rollovers.
When loading up a truck to transport goods across the country, proper rules and procedures must be followed. If the cargo is piled too high or is unevenly distributed, the chances of rolling the truck increase significantly.
As you might expect, semi-trucks have quite a lot of mechanical components on-board. When one or more of these components breaks or stops working correctly, the consequences can be deadly. Steering issues and braking problems are particularly big contributors to rollover accidents.
Poor Road/Weather Conditions
If you have ever driven your car on an icy road, you will know how tough it can be to stop it from skidding and swerving. In a large semi-truck hauling tons of cargo, it can be even more difficult. All it takes is one unexpected slide to cause a heavy truck to roll over.
As you can see, a significant portion of truck rollover accidents is entirely preventable. If drivers pay more attention to the road, mechanics service failing components, and warehouse personnel take care while loading, hundreds, if not thousands, of lives could be saved each year.
When and Where do semi-truck rollover accidents occur most often?
According to the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety, approximately 85% of deaths in large truck crashes in 2017 occurred on highways, freeways, or other major roads. The remaining 15% occurred on smaller roads. The same data set indicated that 65% of large truck deaths in 2017 occurred between the hours of 6:00 am and 6:00 pm.
What are the effects of semi-truck rollover accidents?
As shown by the alarming figures stated above, death is an all-too-common result of truck accidents. However, if you are lucky enough to survive the accident, there is a good chance that you will find yourself dealing with one of the following issues:
- Spinal cord injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
- Mental health problems
- Internal organ injuries
- Broken bones
It is imperative that you seek medical attention immediately after a truck accident. Failing to do so is likely to result in the worsening of your injuries or even death.
If the accident was caused by a party other than yourself, you will be able to seek compensation to help you pay for any medical bills that you incur in the immediate aftermath of the accident, as well as any costs that you expect to incur in the future. You may even be able to claim for lost wages and other expenses. An experienced personal injury attorney will be able to give you more information on the strength of your case and how long it will take to receive a settlement.
Doehrman Buba – Truck Accident Attorneys You Can Trust
With more than 50 years of combined experience under our belt, the Doehrman Buba team has the skill and knowledge you need to handle your semi-truck accident case. Give us a call today at (317) 844-9999 to set up an initial consultation with one of our expert attorneys.