Because of their obligation to the health and well-being of others, doctors, nurses, and other healthcare professionals, in Indianapolis, are held to a certain legal standard of care when it comes to their patients. When a medical professional performs his or her duties negligently and fails to meet that standard, serious injuries and wrongful death can result, and the patient and/or the patient’s family has the right to seek compensation through the civil justice system.
Medical malpractice during labor and delivery has particularly devastating consequences, as these errors can cause serious, lifelong injuries to the baby and put the lives of both the baby and the mother at risk. Unfortunately, the causes of birth injuries often stem from medical malpractice more often than one would hope.
If you or your child has suffered injuries due to the negligence of a medical care provider, you may be uncertain about what to do next. Our Indianapolis medical malpractice lawyers have more than 50 combined years of experience that we use to handle our medical malpractice cases with sensitivity and care. We know that you deserve to be treated with dignity and respect, and you deserve to be compensated for your injuries.
What Is Medical Malpractice?
Medical malpractice occurs when a doctor, nurse, or other medical care provider is negligent in performing his or her duties. Because of the nature of their work, doctors’ and nurses’ medical mistakes can lead to serious injuries and death for patients. At Doehrman Buba Ring, our attorneys represent patients and their families when healthcare workers make tragic errors. Medical malpractice includes, but is not limited to:
- Surgical mistakes, such as operating on the wrong body part or leaving surgical instruments inside the patient;
- Misdiagnoses or failure to diagnose, such as when a doctor fails to diagnose cancer and the patient finds out too late to receive life-saving treatment or misdiagnosis of maternal hypertension/preeclampsia;
- Prescription error, which includes prescribing the wrong medication or prescribing medication without regard to drug interactions;
- Nursing home abuse and neglect;
- Birth injury, such as cerebral palsy, which may be caused by hypoxia or brain injuries at birth or other labor and delivery birth complications, including vacuum or forceps delivery complications
- Emergency room errors
Injured by Medical Negligence? Call Our Indiana Medical Malpractice Lawyers Now
If you or your child has sustained serious injuries because of health care provider negligence, contact an Indianapolis medical malpractice attorney today to discuss your options at (317) 844-9999. Our consultations are free, and we are here to help. There is a medical malpractice statute of limitations and we need to begin requesting evidence right away.